Firstly let me begin; this is my first published recipe on this blog. As I progress with my journey to better health it is my intention to post a lot more of the recipes and foods I eat. These recipes are here to inspire you for when you may lack creativity, are too tired to prepare a time consuming meal or feel it would be a lot easier putting a frozen pizza in the oven!
There’s so many times I’ve made my way home thinking, ‘what will I eat?’ and due to lack of inspiration or even ingredients I opt for unhealthy food, which will get me nowhere. This is why it is essential to ‘Prep’ and buy in food for the week, so you can easily make meals like this.
I recently wrote a recipe for my Veggie Bangers ‘n’ Mash on The Lite Backpacker website, which was a challenge as the way I cook can be best described as “ingredients thrown together”. I don’t measure, unless it’s absolutely necessary.
My method of cooking is probably why I am a terrible baker.
As the weather was cold and drizzling with rain, tonight I decided I’d made this delicious recipe. It’s a real winter warmer, full of flavour and nutrition.
For a 3 Portion meal (ie: 3 Lunches/Dinners) You will need:
- Veggie Meat / Quorn Chicken, Mince or Steak Strips
- 2 Whole Peppers
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/2 Courgette
- One garlic clove
- One can of Chopped Tomatos
- One can of Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Tblespoon Chilli Powder
- Microwavable Mexican Rice (portion) – can be purchased from big supermarkets in the frozen aisle. You can also use Pilau rice.
- Place desired amount of Veggie Meat into frying pan with a tblespoon of low cal olive oil on medium heat. Continue to stir occassionally.
- Cut Peppers, Onion, Garlic clove into small pieces and open the Kidney Beans and Tomatos
- Once Veggie Meat is slightly cooked, throw in the Peppers, Onions and Garlic.
- Strain the Kidney Beans and add to frying pan with tomatos.
- Add Chilli Powder and Stir
- Turn down the heat slightly and place a lid over frying pan to simmer.
- Place Rice in Microwave for three minutes (or as stated on packaging).
- Serve portion and tubberware the rest for up to 2 more days in the fridge, Microwaving your rice individually each time.
As a Vegetarian I struggle to get my Iron intake, for an extra kick and a boast in Iron add pinenuts or more vegetables like Chickpeas. You can also choose to have a side of Kale, Spinach or Cabbage.
If you’d like more recipes or tips in the kitchen, give this a like or comment below!
Have you got a great recipe, you’d like to share? Contact me here and become a Guest Blogger!